THE INSTITUTION OF MECHANICAL ENGINEERS
APPEAL TO ALL MEMBERS
Four Past Presidents (see below) have supported this call for a special meeting and for measures to be taken against the Chief Executive and certain members of the Trustee board responsible for the governance and operation of our institution.
Why have these very senior and highly respected people from industry and academia, with their detailed knowledge of the organisation and working of the institution, taken this unprecedented step for the first time in our 170 year history?
1. Our President, Carolyn Griffiths, is an extremely well-respected internationally-known Fellow of the Royal Academy of Engineering, and a member of its audit committee. She was asked by the Transport Secretary of the time to set up the Rail Accident Investigation Branch and is a Board Member of Irish Rail.
2. Why has she been prevented from doing her job as President, chairing the Trustee Board, and why has a QC been employed at huge cost to our Institution to silence her and prevent her from investigating our Institution finances and problems?
3. Why has support for our Regions, Divisions and Groups been falling over a protracted period?
4. Why are the Trustees of the Institution, including the President-Elect, so reluctant to speak to Members and to hide behind the CEO, who they employ, and should monitor?
5. Why are the Trustees and CEO so reluctant to talk about the failure of our Amber Train subsidiary, the qualification of the accounts two years running, and legal risks? And why have they shown no concern about the unpaid creditors or the 70+ apprentices left in limbo without training certificates?
6. Why have so many of our highly respected employees, including Colin Brown, Director of Engineering, left the Institution?
7. Why have the reserves (Institution Funds) only risen from Â£14m to Â£28m when Â£21m was added from the sale of the publishing business and a further Â£6m received from the Whitworth funds? Why have the free reserves fallen again to only Â£6-8m available now ? Where has all the money gone ?
8. Why are the Trustees not apparently aware and concerned about the further large financial losses from the investments in some of the other trading companies?
We Past Presidents and Senior Fellows, and some 130 initial signatories including more Past Presidents, are so concerned about all of the above that we have gone to considerable effort, time and personal expense to call for the Special Meeting. We asked for the Motions 2 to 6. The Trustees have added their own Motion 1 to prevent the full situation from being revealed. Some members are now so concerned about the situation at our Institution that it has been reported to the Charity Commission.
We care about our Institution. We want it back in working order for you, our members.
Please support us by voting FOR Motions 2 to 6
We urge you to vote AGAINST Motion 1.
We urge you strongly NOT to give any proxy vote to the "Chair of the Trustees", Mr Geoff Baker, as this post does not officially exist.
There is only one person for your proxy vote and that is your elected Lady President, Carolyn Griffiths, membership No 70245654.
We have compiled a great deal of information which is being posted on our new website www.mechengmatters.com . Please visit this site to find out more, and watch for further updates when 2017's full accounts become available in early May.